Monday, February 23, 2009

I Guess I Better Go See Slumdog Millionaire


I should’ve known Slumdog Millionaire would be the biggest winner of the night because every time I’d tell someone that I haven’t seen the movie they’d look at me like I had eight heads. Believe it or not, I don’t have eight heads but Slumdog took home eight Academy Awards last night, nearly pulling off a full sweep. The victorious night was just a part of the ride on the wave of success that includes big wins at the Golden Globes, Writers Guild, Directors Guild and the British Academy of Film and Television Awards.

When I first heard about this film months ago it seemed like another independent film that would go nowhere. The fact that it isn’t really an American film made me wonder why so many people were dying to see it. Though, Slumdog did have its troubles, as it was nearly put straight to DVD in America after its initial studio closed.

Though I have yet to see the film, I applaud Slumdog, and everyone who worked on it. About a month ago I had no idea who director, Danny Boyle was and now I’ll be paying attention to other films that he directs – given that I’ll like Slumdog. I heard it’ll be showing on the IU campus for free within the next few weeks, and you can bet I’ll be in attendance.

No comments: