Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Artist #9: Dan Black


In 2009 I became more interested in music than ever before. New, different music from what I first began getting into in the mid to late ‘90’s. Now, I’m developing a “thing” for indie-rock, electronica and alternative music once again. My musical taste has expanded. That expansion brought me to Dan Black. With classic British-pop vocals and lyrics that read like poetry, Black is certain to leave his mark in the U.S. this year.

In 2008 Black released “HYPNTZ”, which is a mashup of Notorious B.I.G.’s “Hypnotize” and Rihanna’s “Umbrella”. On the song he impressed critics with his hip-hop knowledge as he sang Biggie’s lyrics while keeping his own vocal melody. Black’s first real single, “Symphonies” was released as iTunes single of the week for the week of December 28, 2009. It’s a simple, lively, pop song with edge from the “Umbrella” beat. The single is off his album, “Un” released in the UK in 2008. The album is said to be smart and confident and garners influences from Jay-Z. Biggie, Prince, Beck and De La Soul to name a few.

Black received Justin Timberlake’s stamp of approval last summer and with his British, indie-rock, hip-hop, and pop sound there’s little doubt in my mind that UK’s Black will be making a big name for himself stateside.



No comments: