Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Infamous (and awkward) Kobe Bryant Press Confrence


You're sure sportswriters everywhere just love to interview Kobe Bryant, right? Wrong. The best player in the NBA is also the worst interview in the NBA - in press conferences anyway. A journalism friend of mine sent me a link to this video full of Kobe's press conference highlights. The Lakers star has it down to a science. Simply, give a series of one-word answers, cliches, sarcastic laughs, and rub your face when annoyed and wallah! You've successfully mastered the worst press conference interview ever.

I know Kobe does speak more in some interviews, but his lack of printable answers in press conferences is ridiculous at times. My dad thinks he speaks less in pressers because he doesn't want to give any bulletin board material. That may be true, but I think Kobe's easily bothered by lots of questions. As a former athlete, I know the feeling (although nowhere near to the same extent). If the Lakers win Game 7 of the NBA Finals against the Celtics tomorrow night, I'm sure Kobe will have plenty more to say... I hope.

No comments: