Tuesday, December 30, 2008

T.I. x Rihanna Perform Best Bridge of '08


During my drive to South Bend for New Year’s I was listening to a countdown on the radio. They went on and on discussing what song, they think, was the best song of the year. Eventually, I decided to put in a mixed CD I had made months earlier and I began to think about the best music of 2008. I came to conclusion that I have no idea what the best song of the year is but I do have an opinion on what the best part of a song in 2008.

Specifically, it came to me while listening to T.I. and Rihanna’s “Live Your Life.” It has been one of my favorite songs since it was released, but I often times find myself rewinding the bridge of the song, listening to that one minute of the song over and over again. Don’t act like you don’t do the same thing when listening to one of your favorite songs.

In case you don’t know what the bridge of a song is, the dictionary definition says it’s a transitional, modulatory passage connecting sections of a composition or movement…Yeah, okay. In English, it’s the part of the song that comes up after the first two hooks. Though, it usually sounds slightly different than the hook.

Here are the lyrics of the bridge I’m talking about:

Now everybody watchin what I do
Come walk in my shoes
And see the way that I'm livin if you really want to
I got my mind on my money and I'm not goin nowhere
So keep on gettin yo paper(ah ah)
And keep on climbin
Look in the mirror
And keep on shinin
Til the game end
Til the clock stop
We gon' post up on the top spot
Livin' the life, the life

In the brand new city
Got my whole team with me
Livin my life, my life
I do it how I wanna do
I'm livin' my life, my life
I will never loose 'em
Livin my life, my life
And I'm not stopping


Oh and the best hook of the year has to go to Kanye West for “Love Lockdown.” If you didn’t routinely bob your head to that one, you’re not human.

No comments: