Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Kanye Brings The Pain (And Glitches) With Video: "Welcome To Heartbreak"


Kanye West once again uses his oh, so broken heart to create wonderful art in the form of his "off, but beautiful" Auto-tuned voice. He's just released his third music video, "Welcome To Heartbreak", which features rising star, Kid Cudi, off of his album, 808's and Heartbreak. On this track Kanye's voice sounds almost robotic. You can feel the heartbreak in his voice and the guilt in his lyrics. In one verse, he sings, "My friend showed me pictures of his kids, and all I could show him was pictures of my cribs."

The song sounds like therapy; like he's finally getting what life is all about. What a revelation. As for the video, at first sight I thought there were glitches in my computer, but I think that's how the video is meant to be. For some of it, he almost seems stoic, but it's probably just the lack of happiness in his face. While his demeanor certainly captures the mood of the song, the video uses special affects that look like something out of the '80's. Bottom line, though; great song, different but good video.

No comments: