Sunday, June 21, 2009

Wale x Lady Gaga - "Chillin" Video



I was flipping through my latest GQ Magazine (June 2009 issue) and read a short profile on Wale (pronounced Wah-lay), a D.C. native. He's a new, fresh rapper on the come up. I've been hearing a lot about him lately. Most say he has a great chance to be the next best thing, as he draws comparison's to Kanye West and Jay-Z because of his "crystal-clear jocular flow" according to GQ. I'll take their word for it.

His real name is Olubowale Victor Akintimehin, he's 24 years old and he's just signed a management deal with Jay-Z's company Roc Nation. Last year he released The Mixtape About Nothing, which was, well, a mixtape that was more than nothing. It helped catapult him into the hearts of many hip-hop heads around the country, setting him up for future stardom.

I actually missed a chance to go see him perform at this year's Little 500 at IU. I remember seeing signs up promoting the concert and saying he would be at Dope Couture two hours before his show for a meet and greet. I, now, regret that I missed that.

He currently has a single/video with Lady Gaga called "Chillin" (seen below), which is an instant hit in my book, and his debut album, Attention Deficit is bound to go over well with music fans with production from Mark Ronson (one of GQ's 10 Most Stylish Men In America of 2009), Cool & Dre and Dave Sitek of TV on the Radio. Word is its to be released December 29 of this year. Not sure if that's true, but that's quite a wait, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

No comments: