Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New Artist #6: La Roux


I first heard La Roux last November while watching music videos on one of the numerous music channels via Comcast. It’s something I always enjoyed doing while chillin’ in my apartment – it’s how I discovered lots of new music. The song was “Bulletproof” and it didn’t sound like anything I had heard before. I actually described it in an earlier post.

The only reason I have this group slated at number six, and not higher, is because they’re not likely to get any Grammy love. Why? Probably because they’re from England and you hadn't heard of them before today. My guess is Elly Jackson (lead singer) and Ben Langmaid (synth player/producer) are out to change all that. Jackson’s voice is unique and described as “distinctively breathy and arobatic” by MTV. Their music is undeniably catchy and unlike anything you’ve heard.

They have a growing niche audience full of English electropop lovers, who in a previous life, would’ve been in love with David Bowie, Annie Lennox, and Madonna. But because those people are of this era they worship Lady Gaga, who has helped jolt the radio world into playing music that, three years ago, went unheard through the almighty FM waves. That’s where I hope La Roux will come in jamming on the paved roads Gaga has most recently recently made for them.

Their self-titled, debut album was released in June of last year and singles, “Bulletproof” and “In for the Kill” have won at the Studio8 International Music Awards, the iTunes 2009 UK Music Awards, and this year’s NME Awards. Now, it’s time for people in the States to take notice – or at least impress your friends with your extensive music knowledge beyond the main stream.



No comments: