Monday, February 2, 2009

Career Fair Wear

Last weekend I attended a career fair at Franklin College.

Before I arrived, I wondered what everyone would be wearing and if I was over dressed.

I wore a gray three-piece suit by Alfani that I bought from Macy’s about two months ago. I also wore a white Kenneth Cole Reaction shirt with a silk, black tie and topped it off with sleek, black shoes by Apt. 9. I would’ve added a black or white pocket square, but I accidentally forgot it at my apartment.

Now, this suit might have been just another suit if I had not gotten it tailored the week before.

I took it to Wade’s Tailoring, which is in the back of Andrew Davis Menswear, located on Kirkwood Ave. between Walnut and College St. Wade is a third-generation Italian tailor, who pays close attention to the slim detailing of men’s suits.

My grey three-piece did not fit me badly, but I wanted it to be perfect. I wanted to stand out, but not just that day. I wanted to stand out every day I wear that suit or any suit for that matter. If you’re going to be a fashionista, attention to detail and fit is key.

I had Wade shorten the sleeves, make the shoulders of the suit fit more naturally with my actual shoulders (most suits have more of a boxy shoulder, making you look wide) and bring the middle of the suit in, making it slim and more snug in to show off my physique.

I was more than pleased.

One might think having a suit that fits perfectly might be a no-no for future use, but I will never get much bigger than I am right now. I’m going to be a strong physical fitness participant my entire life. However, if your body does change over the years, you can always get work done to make it fit appropriately. Though, be aware that it’s much harder to make the suit bigger than it is to shrink it.

Once at the career fair, my confidence was a 12 on a scale from one to 10. Not only did I feel and look great, but I could also notice other students looking at me. I received compliments from the potential employers saying they loved my look.

I also saw numerous examples of how not to dress in front of potential employers.

1. I saw the dreaded “overgrown” suit, where a young man looked like he had borrowed the suit from his dad or bought it two sizes too big. Poor guy.

2. One guy there wore a white, button-down shirt with the top button buttoned (follow me?). It gets worse—with no tie! I thought to myself, “Come on, man. There’s no way in hell he could have thought that looked good.” I’m not hating; maybe he loved it. But it made me wish I had brought an extra tie.

3. There was a girl there with pants that were way too long and another with a shirt that was much too short, showing her belly. No one needed to see that.

The bottom line is: if you’re going to a career fair or an interview of some sort, make sure you pay close attention to what you’re wearing.

Pick out your clothes in advance and pay close attention to detail and fit. Don’t be afraid to spend a little extra money to get your clothes tailored. Show off your strong points in your clothes just as you would when selling your skills to someone. It’s probably just as important.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Def. agree with you on that! Appearance is very important to me too!